cookie

Sunday, September 9, 2012

My Boston top three eats


In our very short stay in Boston, we had to get some of the best eats. These local favourites, and now ours, have branches along the Freedom Trail which made accessing them very convenient. We got to take in the sights and discover great food while following the red line. I would walk the Freedom Trail again and again if only to eat in these places. And while there are surely many, many more wonderful food places in Boston, here are our favourites:


1.       Boston Chowda: The Rockport lobster bisque was not particularly spectacular, but the clam chowder was hands down better than the seafood chowder at Doug’s fish fry, or any other clam chowder I have had so far. The chowda was creamy and filled with chunks of seafood. Even without getting a bread bowl, it was wonderfully hearty. It was quite hot and muggy on the day we had clam chowda. Not really an ideal day for soup, but it was still worth it! We didn’t need a rainy day to enjoy this one. They had other offerings apart from the soup, and they all looked quite inviting. Next time, I will try the lobster roll along with their pot pies and crab cakes. It might take some time before we go back, so maybe I should ask if they deliver to Toronto!


2.       Regina Pizzeria: Hubby and I joked that we had to get some Boston Pizza while we were in town, but we didn’t realize that this local pizzeria would be a hit. We got a half-and-half meat lovers and four-cheese pizza from their brick oven in Faneuil Hall. Hubby enjoyed the meat lovers and even saved some for breakfast the next day! I found it a bit on the salty side. However, the girls and I loved the four-cheese pizza, which consisted of Mozzarella, Ricotta, Pecorino Romano, and Parmesan, sprinkled with fresh basil and garlic sauce on top of a secret 80-year old crust recipe. Definitely one of the best pizzas we have had!


 3.       Mike’s Pastry: I will admit that I did not research this one, but am extremely happy to have discovered it. While walking on the Freedom Trail along the North End, I saw quite a few folks holding boxes of Mike’s pastry. And of course, I had to get some too! I found the place just a little off the Freedom Trail’s red line and lined-up for some wonderful delights. The attendant recommended the chocolate chip cannoli (a best-selling flavour of  their specialty).  I got that, as well as some chocolate cupcakes. They were the best cannoli we’ve ever had! The pastry was thin and crisp and the ricotta filling was light and creamy. Finishing one is satiating, but I wish I had gotten more flavours! Later on, I found out they had pistachio, limoncello, (and I can’t believe I did not see this…) espresso (am drooling with just the thought of how this would have tasted) and many more. The chocolate cupcake was also good--moist and not overly sweet even with the icing. Walking further on the Freedom Trail to the city’s “little Italy” turned out to be one of our best decisions in this trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment