cookie

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Mommy's first day of school

My daughter turns to me and asks, “Is it first day of school yet?”

And so begins her new life--as a kindergartener. I have been trying not to think about her going to school even as I mechanically prepare for her school stuff. Months before, we had attended Kindergarten night and school bus introduction, bought the backpack, lunch box, and outfits. I scoured the internet on snacks and lunches I could prepare for her. But I tried not to REALLY think about it. She was no longer going to be MY baby. She was going to have her own world and I wouldn’t be the only one in it. OK, ok, her dad shared her world, too. Friends have told me that the kids are fine and that they have a blast in school, it is the parents who have difficulty letting go. I agree. I got some books to get my daughter psyched up and excited about school while I tried to hide my anxiety. It worked. She was excited, but I had mixed emotions. I was both excited and a little bit sad. We read the “Kissing Hand” together and I had to do a quick run to the bathroom to keep her from seeing my eyes well up with tears.

We made the most of that last summer going on many day trips. But of course, it had to end and we all had to face the first day of school. Camera in hand (and a pack of tissue in my bag), we set off for school. The parents were allowed to hang around for a few hours on the first day. Whether it was intended for the kids or for the parents (or maybe to give the teacher some help), I would say that this was a fantastic idea! It eased the transition. Not long after we arrived, my daughter was off exploring her classroom and checking out the different play areas. I told myself, she would always be my baby and my heart’s fears were replaced with pride. “There goes my girl!” I thought. I wasn’t as much of a wreck as I thought I’d be. I was brave and strong. I hoped deep inside she was thinking, “There goes MY mom!”

No comments:

Post a Comment