cookie

Friday, September 21, 2012

A Carnivore's Tale: Dinner at The Keg Steakhouse

If you’ve read my Summerlicious and Winterlicious blogs, then you know that I am quite the carnivore. While I still pine for Intercontinental Hotel's Prince Albert's sirloin or prime rib with béarnaise sauce (or maybe their pan fried duck liver--yum!), I somehow manage to satisfy my meat cravings here in Toronto. While we’ve been to other steak places (and there are many more we have yet to try), I will always have fond memories of The Keg Steakhouse. When hubby and I found out that I was expecting our first child, this was where we celebrated. Of course, it really hit the spot with me since I was really craving some serious meat!
We usually go to either the Esplanade or Vaughan location, but the last time we were in downtown Toronto to see Madonna's MDNA concert, we checked out the one in York St.
We had the usual Keg Classic dinner which starts off with Caesar's salad. It was just so-so. A bit on the tangy side, like it had a squeeze too much of lemon or wine vinegar. They didn't skimp on the grated Parmesan, though, so that was good. Still, hubby and I surmised that nothing beats having the Caesar prepared and tossed beside your table.

While the Prime rib is the more expensive cut of meat (and is the cut usually served a little more fancily in some places—again, carved beside your side), I honestly prefer a good top sirloin (or striploin). Its meat is wonderfully marbled and a thin strip of fat/skin caps the cut. So divine. Our 8oz steaks came perfectly grilled--we like ours medium. The side of vegetables and accompaniment of roasted garlic mashed potatoes provided the perfect balance. Hubby chose the twice baked potato which was equally good. And of course, my Inniskillin Cabernet-Merlot went quite well with my sirloin.
It was good that hubby dissuaded me from ordering a 12oz cut. I really thought I could finish that size. Well, maybe if I had not eaten a snack a couple of hours before... However, I was too full by the end of the meal that I was not able to finish my potatoes! I felt bad leaving something on my plate, but I really couldn't stuff myself anymore. I wanted to enjoy the evening and not deal with indigestion!
This Zagat-rated restaurant continues to get a two-thumbs up from us. Good steaks, warm ambience and friendly service. Calling all meat-lovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment