cookie

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Amadeus rocks!

I was initially dropping hints to hubby that I wanted a macaron tower cake for my birthday. That was until I realized how expensive it was (each macaron cost quite a bit of change, and it would take 20+ pieces to satisfy all of us ;P), and I was feeling a bit of a scrooge. So, hubby gave me the next best thing--a cake from Amadeus in Thornhill. 


A bit fancier than a La Rocca cake and, of course, pricier, Amadeus cakes still make for a great special-occasion cake (or maybe even an I-don't-need-a-good-reason-to-eat-cake cake). We had previously tried their Mont Blanc (hazelnut and dark chocolate mousse) and Melody (black currant mousse) cakes, and they were both heavenly. I am partial to chocolate, though, so this time, we got a Prince Noir. It had rich and velvety coffee cream and dark chocolate mousse.  Fellow chocolate lovers would do well to close their eyes and let it melt in their mouth. Also, the cake was not too sweet; it had a perfect bitter-sweet balance. The base was a hazelnut meringue which was a nice break from the usual chiffon. To top it off, the cake was exquisitely decorated (with intricate white chocolate swirls) and looked every bit as  elegant as it was mouth-watering.


The cakes on display in the store are an assault to the senses. They have a variety so pretty and yummy-looking that your decision-making powers will surely be tested! However, if you do want to try several, they offer a smaller sized cake and even mini-versions for a single serving.

We also got some macarons as a concession to my original wish. Their macarons were just okay, maybe a teeny bit better than the ones I got from Loblaws Maple Leaf Gardens. But I didn't really go to Amadeus to get some macarons. And in the end, I still got my wish-- an awesome birthday cake. Happy birthday, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment