cookie

Friday, October 7, 2016

Sweet. Spiked. Savoury: gourmet delights by Von Doughnuts

Von Doughnuts
So what do you do when your co-worker opens up a box of oh-so-pretty doughnuts for you to try? Well, you just have to get one…or two!

From Von doughnuts, I tried both the Crème Brûlée and Sangria. The Caramel Salt ‘N’ Pepa and Kabobs looked good, too, but I had to share. Oooh and they were so worth all the calories that the alarm bells in my belly warned about. Von doughnuts are said to be trans-fat free, so it is not so bad, right? Yeah, yeah.

Another thing to justify this treat is that their doughnuts are baked fresh daily and all their toppings and fillings are made from scratch. The fun thing about these doughnuts is that they don’t have common flavours.  Their slogan captures their offerings: sweet, spiked and savoury. They have Milk Chocolate Whiskey, the Sangria I’ve tried and Honey Bourbon Cruller for spiked. They have a Burtle (bacon and Turtle chocolate) and Sappy Pig (again with bacon) for savoury. And of course there were all the other sweet goodies—Cookie Dough, Chocolate Malteser, Raspberry Cheesecake and so many more. They change up the offering per day.

I really liked the Crème Brûlée. The burnt sugar on top provided the crunch on the light and airy doughnut. The custard was smooth and creamy. It was really like having a crème brûlée! 

Crème Brûlée @ Von Doughnuts
The Sangria used a red and white wine glaze which was also good but if I didn’t know it was sangria, I wouldn’t be able to guess. The strawberry jam swirl did give the right tang to balance the sweet, fluffy doughnut. 

Sangria @ Von Doughnuts
I loved the decadent flavours I don’t usually get in other shops and the light texture of the doughnut itself. Of course, the price is almost twice the fancier Timmy’s options (some flavours have an upcharge—perhaps for the alcohol shot?) , but an indulgence every now and then is necessary, at least for my sanity. The size was pretty big, too.

Cannot wait to check out their store at Danforth. I am so sure that my fam and I will have a hard time picking which ones to try from all the beauties!

UPDATE: We found ourselves in the Danforth one Saturday and they were almost sold out at 1pm. We only managed to get Kabobs. They were mini versions of yumminess. We especially liked the triple chocolate. Blueberry Lime and Caramel Salt 'n' Pepa were also good.

Von Kabobs @ Von Doughnuts




No comments:

Post a Comment