cookie

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Taste all you can Japanese and Thai at Spoon and Fork

What happens when two of my favourite cuisines, Japanese and Thai, are combined in one restaurant and I can eat to my heart’s content? It more than makes my day. It makes my week! So, on Easter Sunday, to set me up for the week, we went to Spoon and Fork restaurant in Vaughan.
We started pretty late, for our family’s standards, at 12:45 p.m. (we usually have lunch around 11:30am). So by then, we were starving—which was great before embarking on an “all you can taste” meal (that’s how they call it over there, as one is not supposed to gorge on gourmet ;P). We started off with some Miso soup for the kids and Thai lemongrass soup for the adults while we figured out what to order. The lunch menu was not as extensive as the dinner menu (quite often the case even for other all-you-can-eat or AYCE places), but there was sashimi. We got our usual sashimi of salmon, white tuna, kani (crab meat), and butterfish (this one is not readily available in other Japanese AYCE places). We ordered the kids’ favourite California roll as well as a couple of spicy salmon hand rolls. The sashimi was fresh and the sushi great! The rice was perfectly cooked and the nori (seaweed) wrapper was wonderfully toasted for a nice crunch.

I think the shrimp tempura was a bit on the oily side. The beef teriyaki, though, was wonderfully grilled. As for the Thai dishes, we ordered Pad Thai, Beef red curry and Panang curry (thick curry peanut sauce), and crab fried rice. They were all so yummy, I wish I had room for more! The Pad Thai noodles were al dente and had a chewy consistency. It was not the best I’ve tried but good enough. The curry, on the other hand, was quite tasty. It definitely did something the wasabi could not--clear up my sinuses. Next time, I think we’ll  try the yellow and green curries as well, but the red curry will be a constant on our order list.

The meal did not include dessert, but nobody had room anyway. Both service and the quality of the food were commendable.  After an hour and a half (and four bowls of Miso soup for DD#2), we were ready to call it quits. A nap would be nice after a lunch like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment