cookie

Friday, February 10, 2012

Remembering Hong Kong

My first plane ride was to Hong Kong when I was 7 years old. I have vague memories of the whole trip but since I had a plated picture (yes, those plates with pictures which are displayed on the shelves!) of myself about to ride a cable car, my recollection of the whole trip is--riding a cable car. No memories of Buddhist temples or ferries or rickshaws. My daughters were each 6 months old when they rode the plane for the first time. I doubt they will recall any of those trips, but as my mom said, I will remember them.

For bigger trips (or slightly costlier local ones), hubby and I often consider if the kids would remember the experience. If the trip was for them and  if they were too young for certain activities, then we would postpone the adventure. If the trip was for us, then, off we would go (especially if kids stay and eat free!). Traveling with kids is a whole other story but I always say that these trips and outings bond us together and create family memories.

As for the plate, I threw it out when we were packing our stuff to migrate to Canada. I have some yellowing prints of that trip left, but the bulky plate is in a landfill in Manila.

No comments:

Post a Comment