![]() |
| Churros from La Quinta |
Of course, my account would not be complete without a few sweet treats! Hubby and I enjoyed these for both dessert and snack. In Galicia (and specially in Santiago), we had to try the Tarta de Santiago (almond cake or Tarta Almendra). The moist cake is made with ground almonds, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, and liquor. It is usually designed with the cross of St. James. We tried this in a couple of bakeries (instead of the ones sold in souvenir stores) and we immediately loved them. They were moist and the nutty flavour was complemented well with a hint of lemon zest. I will definitely try to make this at home!
![]() |
| Tarta de Santiago |
Another favourite, which unfortunately, I do not think I am capable to make at home, is chocolate con churros. Growing up, I have always enjoyed this fried choux pastry dough treat, dipped in rich, thick, hot chocolate. Yummmmm....So, I definitely indulge whenever I get the chance. Churros were available in food truck churrerias and even in a table along the path of the Camino! In Santiago, however, we did a back to back visit to La Quinta, where the chocolate con churros was very good! Deep-fried yumminess dipped into good-quality chocolate was worth coming back for! Can they not open a location in Canada?! Theirs was definitely one of the best churros I have had and I know will crave going forward.
![]() |
| Churros from La Quinta |
We were also able to try other treats, all due to lucky timing!
We were fortunate to be able to try the fish-shaped almond biscuits sold by the nuns at the Convento das Clarisas in Tui. They were chewy yet delicate and the nuttiness was perfectly balanced with the sweet-- a sprinkling of sugar on top. The "store" is based on the convent's hours and as well, has to be timed when goodies are still available at the time you are passing through. (I know timing is key because I missed some almond cakes from one of Santiago's monasteries, which were sold out by the time I got there!)
![]() |
| Fish-shaped almond cookies from Convento das Clarisas in Tui |
We also made it to the Festas do Cristo in O Porriño (held for a week in September) where we were able to enjoy watching a parade and a marching band, and get some Confiteria Ancla Hojaldre/Hojaldrita from a street stall. This festival staple of crispy puff pastry covered in syrup has become a new favourite of mine. It was quite difficult to eat just one in every sitting. My only regret was getting just one pack!
![]() |
| Confiteria Ancla Hojaldre |





No comments:
Post a Comment