cookie

Friday, May 9, 2014

Colonel goes modern: snacking at KFC Select



A trip to downtown would usually have me looking up a new place I want to check out. I generally stay away from Food Courts at the PATH, but I will not lie. There have been some cases which necessitated eating at the usual chains. 

Now, one Friday, as I was looking for my old Green Mango restaurant (they have renamed the place and apparently have a new set up), Hubby and I saw KFC Select. I really would have preferred to find another place, but this KFC Select is the only one I know of (they opened December 2013). So, I allowed Hubby to convince me to check it out.


We walked in to some pretty fresh interiors and promptly tried to figure out what to order. They had no chicken pieces like usual KFC. What they do have are chicken burgers, burritos, rice bowls, salads, chicken strips and desserts! Well, burritos and rice bowls in KFC?! That is truly something to check out. 


But as we were only having a snack before dinner in a couple of hours, I could not try the burrito or rice bowl. That just gives me an excuse to try something else next time!

Anyway, for $5.99, you can pick burrito, rice bowl or salad and choose your style (fajita, mango or California). These come with grilled chicken. I wanted crispy chicken and opted for a single fillet. Hubby ordered the “Big Boss”—two crispy chicken fillets with the works.

KFC Select chicken burgers

The usual coleslaw side was available but none of the mashed potatoes or regular fries. I ordered waffle fries but skipped dessert. They offered the “Kream Ball” (which is like a layered mousse) and cheesecake as well.

The burgers we ordered were good, but nothing above other chicken burgers—well except that it was KFC! The rice bowl from the other table that I saw seemed appetizing enough. Something I would definitely try next time I find myself in the area.

The available drinks also reflected how they promoted individuality and focus on the younger crowd. You can select a flavor shot (strawberry, cherry,etc) to spruce up your usual Pepsi products. Hubby and I enjoyed our Diet Pepsi-Strawberry concoction!


I can see how this concept might appeal to the “fresh” crowd. This is the trend, after all--like how McDonald’s and other chains have added salad to their menu. If I frequented the area, I might go in there once in a while as well. But most likely, I would still go back to the old Original Recipe chicken with gravy and mashed potatoes. Is it Toonie Tuesday yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment