cookie

Friday, October 12, 2012

Charlie Brown is good, man!

Can a 7 year old and a 4 year old appreciate this Stratford festival play?
My girls have, so far, been to only a few plays--school productions, children’s theatres, and the Ross Petty production of Wizard of Oz.  My younger one was 3 when she started watching plays.  It was quite a feat to have her sit through a whole play considering how tough it was to have her watch Kung Fu Panda 2 in the movie theatre.  
Our excursion to Stratford happened to coincide with the city’s annual Festival, so I took the opportunity to continue my children’s exposure to something I truly enjoy—watching plays.   I didn’t think they’d appreciate Henry V, so You’re a good man, Charlie Brown it was going to have to be. 

Decades ago this play ran in Broadway and the West End with its very simple backdrops and wardrobe. But it's probably not what I would line up for given other choices. As for my kids, they cannot really totally relate to Snoopy.  Their exposure to Peanuts is limited to the Thanksgiving or Halloween animations aired on TV.  However, I was truly amazed that while the whole play was composed of several vignettes with musical numbers, the kids actually enjoyed it.  My 7-year-old, DD#1, was immersed in the comedy and transfixed not only at what was happening on stage but also the dialogue.  Meanwhile, DD#2, still being weaned from afternoon naps, managed to overcome her restlessness during the first act and actually watched the second.  Needless to say, some of the humor could be more fully appreciated by mature audiences, especially audiences who used to read Charles Schultz.
The show was like a re-enactment of a Peanuts Treasury with no actual plot.  Those who missed this show can actually catch the animated version on film.  What pulled the play together, however, were the actors, who were great. The girls especially loved Snoopy’s performance, particularly his classic "fights" with the Red Baron.  Crabby old me liked Lucy.  Charlie Brown and his gang did not disappoint.  Even the younger generation who did not really grow up with them had fun.  It was a nice play, overall, and one that I am happy that the girls got to see. In a few more years, we can progress to Shakespeare –maybe we’ll start off with a comedy when we go back to Stratford.
Avon theatre
The girls already love watching Sound of Music on DVD and listening to the music of Wicked. They also watched (and enjoyed!) a Lés Misérables special on TV a few weeks ago.  They wouldn’t go to bed until after Eponine had sung “A Little Fall of Rain.”  So, I am quite confident they will enjoy many more plays in the future. I cannot wait to watch all my favorite shows all over again with them. Now, this is what Happiness is

No comments:

Post a Comment