cookie

Friday, August 10, 2012

Let’s hear it for the boys: my favorite Mexican meal at Burrito Boyz


I did mention in my previous post that I love Mexican food, right? But when it comes down to my all-time favorite burrito, in a heartbeat, I would say, Burrito Boyz. Hubby and I have been going to this burrito place for years now—even when the owners hadn’t yet gone their separate ways and when this hole-in-the-wall was still in Peter St. in downtown T.O.
Now, whenever I get a chance to go downtown for something other than Summerlicious or Winterlicious, I make it a point to time it at around lunch or dinner time just so I can have my steak burrito. At the Adelaide location, you still have to go down a few steps to this non-descript basement joint. Line-ups during peak lunch or dinner hours go beyond the door! Seating has increased from the 3 or so bar stools at the Peter St. location to about 6 tiny tables. Being so, a lot of folks tend to take out their meals. If you are a bit pressed for time, you can call in your order for pick up. And while you still have to line up to pay, your burrito would be all cooked and ready to go.
For walk-ins, you pay first and then when your order number is called, you come up to pick your tortilla (white or whole wheat) and let them know what you want in your burrito (onions, peppers, guacamole, etc). I have only tried the halibut once as it seemed to be a very popular choice. I have yet to try the quesadilla which I am sure tastes great as well. However, being the carnivore that I am, I would always end up ordering the steak burrito with whole wheat and everything in it--small. Hubby orders the large one.
The steak burrito is just packed with perfectly grilled and seasoned steak. There is no skimping on this main ingredient. Of course, the burrito is also filled with a hearty serving of rice and beans and lip-smacking guacamole and salsa. At under $6.00 for the small order, it is great value for money. The happiness it brings me is well worth the line-up.
Burrito Boyz does deserve to be hailed as one of the best places to eat in Toronto. It is definitely a Wanderlusting Mama’s favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment